December 08, 2009

MY LEFT FOOT: The Story of Christy Brown (1989)

* * * 1/2

PG-13, C-103m, Ireland/UK

D: Jim Sheridan (Daniel Day-Lewis, Brenda Fricker)

Tagline: A film about life, laughter, and the occasional miracle.

Daniel Day-Lewis won his first Oscar for this role, and Brenda Fricker won for Best Supporting Actress as his fiercely supportive mum. I was quite surprised to learn that she had borne twenty-two children (take that, Duggars!), though sadly, lost nine in infancy. This is a beautiful and inspiring story
of Irish artist/poet/writer Christy Brown, who had cerebral palsy.

I first saw this wonderful film in the theatre with my friend Melinda in 1989, and again tonight on DVD. Still great, and I appreciate it even more, seeing the struggles of a brilliant human being who insisted on living life on his terms.

Besides, anyone who can block a soccer ball with his face is a badass in my book.

No comments: